A double leg kickstand keeps the bike straight up and down (not leaning like a traditional one leg kickstand) and fully lifts one wheel off the ground. This is the.best.thing.ever. when cycle touring because:
- The alternatives (no kickstand or a one legged kickstand) are nothing but a lesson in frustration. You'll either be constantly finding something to lean your bike against or laying it on the ground (picking a loaded bike up off the ground is annoying) or worse, having it constantly fall over when you try in vain to get a one legged kickstand to hold the weight of a bike with loaded panniers.
- It makes it oh-so-easy to get your bags on and off the racks
- Because it's free standing, can provide full 360 degree access to any part of the bike.
- Because one wheel is lifted off the ground tuning the gears and lubing the chain is a snap.
- It performs admirably even on uneven ground and soft ground since it doesn't depend on leaning.
Anyone out there a kickstand lover like me? In the race obsessed cycling world it's not a popular choice, but I'll dare to be different on this one.